Saturday, April 5, 2008

a fleeting moment

I am now typing away from my new shiny Blogger Widget for Mac. Let's hope all works well. In response to having actual responses to my posts (which was rather surprising I must say) and nagging and taunts from Nick, I shall post away. Ease up, I'm slowly getting into the habit of this.

And so it's the end to another week. Another Friday night that did not feel like a Friday night. One of Gav's friend asked me today - 'What is a Friday night to you?'. Ironically, I found it hard to narrow down the answer. In the end, I concluded that an ideal Friday night is one where you actually go out and do something. Preferrably with your group of buddies. 

Having said that, I did had a catch up dinner with Natasha. I have not seen her ever since the Hobart trip. In fact, I haven't seen anyone since the Hobart trip (Gav being an exception but that's obvious). We had a great dinner at Malaymas - overdid the food again and felt slightly sick by the end of it. Afterwards we went home and I continued tidying up my iTunes folder.

And that was the extent of it; my Friday night. I'm not complaining nor am I unsatisfied with anything. But I did wondered about whatever happened to long chats and huge enthusiasm over catching up. Rewind back a couple of years ago, we would have spent hours chatting and gossiping over the most ridiculous things, insist that we need to continue over coffee and dessert and end up in each other's place talking all night and asking for each other's advice on personal matters.

Wait, I better clarify that I'm not talking about Natasha in particular there, I'm  referring to people that I used to be close to in general. 

Anyhoo, it's a weird feeling - knowing that people you used to be super close with are now so far away. It's a natural thing to end up with different cliques - but it still feels strange. For me anyway. What makes is strange now is that years back, I would have been upset over the whole situation - now I feel rather ...indifferent. 

I guess that's how it works with most people. You meet friends, you lose touch, you move on. End of story. But I wonder what it was that made me so detached from values that I once held so dearly, and whether it's a good or bad thing. Perhaps it's neither. It's probably something that's just meant to happen. Perhaps this is what it's like to grow up. My theory is that the older you get the more cynical you'll become thanks to the shits that life throws at you. It's a fact - you can either admit it or be in denial and still say that life's all roses and peaches. I could not care less either way (ha!).

I still believe that by the end of the day, you'll still have timeless friends and people that you hold dear. These people are the ones who keep you together during those moments where everything else seems dull and mundane. But what about those people who once were what you call your second family, your partners-in-crime, your best mates but now can't even hold a proper conversation with without using the formalities of small-talks. 

Are these people meant to around only for that fleeting moment, to give you good (or bad) memories or to teach you a lesson about life - and nothing more?

You might not even see some of them again for the rest of your life. 
It's a strange thing to think about.

2 comments:

Yew Yingda Nicholas said...

xP

You seem to be always tidying your iTunes folder... Is it really that big or is it ever expanding like the Universe?

{chris} said...

All that paragraphs and you only commented about my current obsession with tidying my iTunes folder?!?

*slap nick*

hrrrrmph.